MTU or 2701HG Gateway Issue — Update

Back in May, I mentioned that I had noticed a strange problem about my Internet connection after I moved.

Briefly, the problem I have been experiencing is that when connecting to my own website (which is on my PC) via the external IP address, it frequently times out. But I could access my website with no problem from a computer outside my home network. Also, this does not seem to be an OS specific issue as I previously speculated as under different OS’es (e.g. Linux, FreeBSD, etc.) the exact same problem appears.

After trying to fix the problem by adjusting MTU settings with no apparent results, I am pretty sure that the issue has something to do with either the Gateway or/and AT&T’s setup.

As a work around, I simply set a host entry in my /etc/hosts file (under Linux). Or, equivalently, you can set your local address to domain name translation in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply