My Q9450 finally arrived yesterday.Originally I had thought that Intel’s new 45nm processors would be readily available, but as it turned out most places did not have them in stock. The only 45nm processor that is readily available right now is Q9300, you can find both OEM and retail versions in many major online stores. Anyway, I got mine (retail box) from TankGuys right after they received their first batch of shipment. With this chip in hand, all the parts were in place for my new build.
I spent a few hours last night, quickly put my new system together. By the time I was done, it was already late. So I have not got a chance to install OS yet. Nevertheless it posted first time without any issues.
Here is a list of the parts I used in my new system:
- Case/Power: Antec TITAN650 (with 650W power supply)
- DVDRW: SAMSUNG SH-S203N (SATA)
- Video Card: EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256M
- Motherboard: ASUS P5E (X38)
- Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB
- Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
- CPU: Intel Q9450
- CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Like my previous builds, I tend to put more emphasis on processing power and memory than the graphic system as I only need the horsepower for scientific calculations and data processing.
I had planned to use ASUS P5K-E WIFI-AP motherboard originally, but I noticed that there is still no current BIOS support for Q9450 (C1).
Anyway, in the next couple of days I will post more information on my new build and possibly a few pictures as well.